More Timely Than Ever!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

John Reed, R.I.P.


John Reed, perhaps the greatest interpreter of Gilbert and Sullivan's signature patter songs, died February 13. He was a wonderful comedian, who perfectly executed the roles of John Wellington Wells, the Learned Judge, Sir Joseph (First Lord of the Admiralty), modern Major General Stanley, Ko-Ko, Bunthorne, Jack Point, the Duke of Plaza-Toro, and so many other memorable characters created by William Schwenck Gilbert for his and Sir. Arthur Sullivan's 13 performed operettas. I've spent many hours listening to him. He always made me laugh. I admired his passion and dedication to his art.

I have been on hiatus from listening to Gilbert & Sullivan, but this sad news will likely put an end to that.

More on Reed here.

No comments: